Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Give over thine own willing, give over thine own running, give over thine own desiring to know or be anything and sink down to the seed which God sows in thine heart... Isaac Penington

Planned to begin my pilgrimage with the dedication of the new temple at the Peace Pagoda but was too exhausted from moving in the pouring rain. Instead I rested, took a nice walk and visited with my new housemates and friends in Ashfield.

Yesterday - Spent all AM in the yurt packing and watching Lily while my son Eli did most of the loading. It rained hard off and on. Craig & Megan's wedding started late. I was especially mindful in worship of the commitment we make to a couple who is marrying in the care of a meeting, wanting Megan and Craig to know that they have on-going support. Sorry to leave but anxious to get to Ashfield and unload. Haven't been so tired in a long time.

10/7/11 Back at the yurt still packing and cleaning, weird being here but not FROM here. I'm remembering moving from Maine, proud to leave the place looking really clean and nice. I realize this leave taking is similar, not of my choosing. And so I want to make a CLEAN break.
Want to journal every day, spiritual journaling, to track this time and keep a record of what is holy in it for me. Example: Kristna and I were talking tonight about TMS and I was overwhelmed with a sense of what had been so sacred in our life here - that a group of teenagers could come together with no or little prior experience of the spirit and by the end of the year they could walk into the Hayden room and KNOW they could sit together in silence and be one, they could really understand corporately what a gathered meeting for worship is.

I hope to carry that spirit with me on this pilgrimage, not as an emissary for TMS but still witnessing to what my experience has been. I just won't be speaking for the school. When talking about the school I find myself constantly changing to the past tense.

The mice are scampering around all over the ceiling. I hope I can get some sleep. Hmmm, we'll see.

Oct. 11 Two days of non-stop work, still not finished at the yurt so back again, spent the whole day, finally finished last night at about9:30, drove toAshfield and got to bed about midnight.

Oct.18 AM bus from Greenfield to Boston, talking with the driver and a couple of passengers and doing emails. South Station, saw Josiah Erikson's daughter, Jaelin, witnessing as part of Occupy Boston. I went out to Dewey Square and walked through the tent city, ran into one of the folks from the Cathedral of the Pines Interfaith Council. Stayed overnight in Somerville at the cooperative house where Katherine Fisher used to live. Sat. AM I needed to see a Dr. about a tick bite, went to the ER in Somerville and they were great. Walked to Union Square, met my sister Elizabeth and we drove to Providence, to visit her daughter, Rachel. R is a sophomore in then dual- degree program at Brown and Rhode Island School of Design (RISD).

Sat. PM, Rachel's concert, the Jewish choral group, Alef Beats. Her friends Lauren and Isabelle came from NYC and Harvard respectively. Lauren had come directly from Wall St. with her sign still in her hands. The concert was the first interfaith experience of my pilgrimage. Held in the Jewish community center Hillel on the Brown campus, a wonderful combination of serious Hebrew songs, some lively ones also in Hebrew and a mix of other popular songs, even a gospel piece. The students did excellent arrangements.

Sunday AM went to meeting for worship at Providence Friends, my first really official visit. The two vocal messages shared in worship referred to the Occupation of Providence and hope for change. It seems to be an important time to be out in the world.

Mon. Had another interesting interfaith experience with my former brother-in-law Steve, who is Jewish and was the first Jewish member of our family. Tho' he is one of the most secular of our family, his marriage to my sister was the beginning of our cross-cultural family. He drove me to Jonathan Vogel-borne's. Minga is away. Got to sing that night with J's singing group.

Tues. AM met up with Chris Jorgenson and her garden helper, Hiawatha. I helped plant bulbs. Came back to Chris' for the night.

Hoping to keep on with daily worship, tho' it has been difficult to do it at the regular 8:30 AM time. Still, having it in mind and finding time for it makes a big difference. There are moments, waiting for a bus or subway train or walking down the street in the rain, that I feel the presence of prayer in my life and know that this journey is different.

Weds. and Thurs. Went to visit Keith Harvey at AFSCNERO in Cambridge, then took T out to Andover Newton Theological Seminary to visit Frederick Martin and Katherine Fisher. Worshiped w. them in the chapel there. Spent the night then back to S.Station/Dewey Sq. to occupy once more and on the commuter rail to Franklin to visit my son, d'in-law and granddaughter.

Fri. Sat. Bus to Portsmouth to Lyman Fund Gathering. Good group, lots of wonderful stories, deep worship and singing.

Sun. Drove to Philly w. Jon Watts and Harriet Nettles. Stayed at Vortex House, coop house formerly home of Barbara H. of New Society Publishers ( and Friends Journal?) an honor to sleep in her old room.

Mon. Pendle Hill helped in the garden, lunch w. Carol Sexton, art director. We graduated ESR together. Dinner w. Michelle Brimage (Beacon Hill MM) a student at PH this year and Stephen-David, friend of folks at Koinonia.

Reflections - I'm still on a bit of a whirlwind, it seems. Trying to rest when I can and finding many times for worship, formal and not. Lots of encounters with strangers, some very wonderful, even tho' very brief. Some chaos but things are generally falling into place with lots of help from friends and passersby. I love both the feeling of staying connected with loved ones and the delightful interactions w. folks I'll never see again.